Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Leadership and Jobs

 The day I got my iPad (as a gift) was the morning Steve Jobs' passing was all over the news. A bit ironic. Even before then I knew I needed to know more about Steve - what he'd done, created and built. At the end of the day I had no real idea of his brilliance and I suppose never having known him personally, I never will - not really. What I have seen are glimpses of leaders like Steve. Brilliant, smart, and demanding (to the point of insanity). And part of me is intrigued by the insanity, the other is disgusted. It's not what we teach anyone, anywhere....it's not the prescription for how to behave, be a great leader, build teams and work with others....yet it happens - all the time. At some point we all work for someone who is unreasonable. And with that, we have the odd opportunity I suppose to learn. To learn how we really want to be treated, and to treat others. At the same time, right or wrong, I think the insanity can teach us what we are really capable of when delivering for such a leader - as certain personalities are drawn to and driven by true achievement possibilities under such a leader. I am one of these people. I have been driven to unreasonable insanity. And driven to deliver for the not so insane leader too. The question I struggle with at the end of the day is, "Why do we allow for unreasonable behavior when the leader is 'brilliant' or in the midst of achieving extraordinary results?" It seems to me people are willing and able, more often than not, to turn a blind eye to inappropriate behavior when success is being achieved. So would we say then that the same success would not be accomplished if not for or under the leadership of the 'unreasonable?' I don't think so. I think there is another way. Steve was brilliant, amazing, a genius, a visionary, etc., as are many other leaders and businessmen in our world today. Imagine though what 'may be' also achieved if for the empowerment and support of a more 'well-behaved' brilliant leader too. It could be truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment